So its that time of the year, in the facility where I work (with the homeless), where we all become very thankful and stay to serve meals to the residents. Many non-social workery people I know think this is so nice and sacrificial of me, and the staff to come in on our holiday to serve the residents.
I'm going to let all the non-social workery people... and all the social workery people who work in non-residential settings in on a secret. 95% percent of the people who work in residential settings, from the front line workers to the administrators, are their because they crave it, they are slight workaholics, love overtime (or if they are social work managers they love working 800,000 hours and not getting paid overtime for it), and there is something sort of exciting for the adernaline junkies that pick this setting.
So let's stop pretending that by spending Thanksgiving with my residents, who are schizophrenic and street homeless, I'm sacrificing anything. I want to be there. Heck, I have a ton of fun! We play bingo, and you've never seen how serious BINGO is until watch it in a facility where people are barely in touch with reality.
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment